Thursday, February 23, 2012

Book Review- Heads By Harry



Out of the three Yamanaka books I have read, Heads By Harry is definitely the most "mature". By mature, I mean the characters are more matured. I don't know if this is just because her main characters in Heads By Harry are older, but I didn't find myself cringing at every thing.

Heads By Harry focuses around a family whose line of business is taxidermy.  That fact alone makes Heads By Harry unique. Whenever there is a problem it seems as if the main character, Toni, rips apart the skin of an animal to make herself feel better, which I thought was interesting. In the family the reader is introduced to three teenagers, Sheldon the girly mahu, Bunny the slut sister, and Toni the sidetracked tomboy slacker. Unlike Blu's Hanging and Wild Meat and the Bully Burgers, Heads By Harry has a supportive family structure. The parents always seem to be around, and not high or drunk or dead, and make pretty decent money. But, Yamanaka proves that even the most stable family has problems.

I particularly like the predicament that Toni gets herself into. It make me chuckle a few times, making me feel like a horrible person.

I give Heads By Harry 4 stars. It was actually really good. I enjoyed it. If you want to read a less shocking novel by Yamanaka I would choose Heads By Harry over the other two I already reviewed for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment