Friday, May 25, 2012

Book Review- Mockingjay



So what did I do this week?  I spent my week reading The Hunger Games trilogy.  Was it worth it?  Heck yeah it was worth it.  This series is awesome.


The last book in this trilogy definitely did not disappoint me.  As I was waiting for the moment for Collin's to write a steamy exchange between Peeta and Katniss, I noticed that as a writer she is very masculine. By no means is that a bad thing.  I realized that the characters really struggle to reach the intricate level of intimacy and emotion- which I find really hard to comprehend because they are slaughtering everyone.  It seems as soon as an emotional moment is going to happen, Katniss is drugged with Morphling.  I found this to be an interesting observation while I was reading the last book.

I don't want to give much away, but I like the end of this novel because it basically wraps everything up, leaving the audience with a bitter happy ending.  Who doesn't like happy endings?

And the series as a whole was really great, mostly because of the political stand point of why a communist based nation never succeeds.  Democracy always wins, Hooray!

Favorite quotes from the last book:

"It takes ten times as long to put yourself back together as it does to fall apart." (Page 154)

"But in the end, who does it benefit?  No one.  The truth is, it benefits no one to live in a world where these things happen." (Page 375)

"But collective thinking is usually short-lived, we're fickle, stupid beings with poor memories and a great gift for self destruction." (Page 377)

1 comment: