Italian Macaroni and Cheese
What you will need:
- 1 pound ziti
- 1 pound sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 or 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 12 crimini mushrooms, roughly sliced
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 1/2 cup Italian cheese
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup parmesan
Directions on how to cook this deliciousness.
- Cook pasta to chewy al dente (about 8 minutes)
- Brown and crumble sausage. Drain sausage on a paper towel lined plate.
- In the same pan, add olive oil, butter, garlic and mushrooms. Season liberally with salt and pepper. Sauté for 3-5 minutes or until the mushrooms turn a lightly golden brown.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to broil.
- To mushrooms, add flour and stir cooking 2 minutes. Whisk in stock, then stir in cream. Bring mixture to a bubble. Add 2 cups of cheese and drained tomatoes. Cook until cheese melts.
- Combine cheese sauce with sausage and pasta.
- Transfer to baking dish and sprinkle with 1/2 cup of italian cheese and the grated parmesan.
- Brown under hot broiler (about 3-7 minutes)
I really hope you all try this dish. It is really, really tasty. I don't remember where I originally got the recipe from, but whoever it was knows their mac and cheese. You will never, ever, go back to box mac and cheese after this one.