Sunday, March 18, 2012

#170 Visit the USS Arizona






So on Friday, I actually had the chance to go to the USS Arizona memorial with my History class. I know I haven't been posting much, but please forgive me as I am dealing with the worse morning sickness a human being can have. Anyway, the field trips are worth a great amount of our grade so I sucked it up and went with my class. These are not my photos, I forgot my camera :( I know, I am terrible. My mind has turned into mush.

Anyways, when you first arrive at the Pearl Harbor historical sites you are asked to leave all bags outside of the park. I would suggest wearing something with deep pockets for your wallet, camera and other belongings you want to bring in with you. There is a limited amount of number of persons who are able to get to the memorial each day, so plan on going early so you can "purchase" your tickets. Tickets are free, it's a historical park.

So when your tour begins, everyone is briefed on the history of Pearl Harbor and the attack on December 7th 1941. After, you get into a little boat and sail your way over to the USS Arizona.

Did you know that Elvis Presley held a benefit concert in order to raise enough money for the memorial?

Even though divers removed 10 tons of oil from the USS Arizona, the boat still leaks oil. You can see it in the water, it's almost an eerie feeling that the boat is still leaking oil decades later.

I am hoping to go back again, when I am not suffering from morning sickness so I can enjoy it a little more. If I do I will report back!

1 comment: