Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Home made Sugar and Cinnamon Toasted Almonds




So after my epic food fail from Thursday night, I decided the next thing I was going to experiment and cook should be something I am more familiar with...sugar.

Since I have been pregnant, I have cut back on meat because the Alien Child inside of me will not let me stomach it.  In order to receive the same amount of protein I have been making sure to eat a handful of nuts.  Mostly almonds because they are my favorite.  I wanted something different and I thought about the carnival almonds I used to get all the time from the local fair and amusement parks back at home.  I did some research and came up with my own little recipe for the nuts...

What you need:

  • 3 cups of almonds
  • 1 egg white
  • 1 tsp of vanilla
  • 1 tsp of salt
  • 2 1/2 cups of white sugar
  • 3 tablespoons of brown sugar
  • 1 tsp of cinnamon (add more if you want more of a cinnamon taste rather than sugar)

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 250 degrees F
  • Lay down some waxed paper on a large baking dish (or just choose to grease it, but with the sugar caked on...trust me you want the paper)
  • In a medium bowl mix the egg white and vanilla until frothy 
  • Add Almonds in the bowl and make sure you coat all almonds
  • Add sugar, salt, brown sugar, and cinnamon to the bowl and mix until mixture is even spread on Almonds
  • Spread Almonds on the cooking sheet.  Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes taking almonds out of the oven every 20 minutes to "stir"
  • Cool. And eat deliciousness. 


These came out amazing, and I will be making them again.  They are also good for around the holidays so make sure you mark this for future reference!

No comments:

Post a Comment